At Smart School we have often come across people who use English actively and on a daily basis in their work. Most of them usually seem quite fluent and very confident when it comes to reading and writing in English, as well as communicating in English in a wide array of different situations. It happens every now and then that some of them become our students for one reason or another. Sometimes it is to prepare for a presentation at an important conference. At other times they take one-on-one classes in preparation for a specific examination. And so they find themselves in a situation where they are constantly corrected by their teacher, sometimes to such an extent that they get frustrated because all of a sudden it looks as if their command of English is not as good as they thought.
This is due to the fact that Croatian people more often than not communicate in English with non-native speakers of English, that is, with people who do not come from an English-speaking country and for whom English is also a second language and not their mother tongue. In this situation people very often copy their interlocutor’s mistakes because they assume that what the other person said was correct. Secondly, when you do not have anybody to correct your mistakes, you continue making them. Thirdly, there are some people who believe that knowledge of grammar is not essential for business communication as long as you have a good command of vocabulary, and therefore they do not pay attention to grammar and do not put any effort into learning it.
First of all, a good command of grammar means a greater ability to express your ideas clearly. Grammatical mistakes, and not only the wrong choice of words, can lead to misunderstanding. If you are talking to non-native speakers, do not take for granted that they know more than you do. Sometimes, if you just listen carefully, you may notice some mistakes yourself.
Taking a course in English can help you:
- improve your command of grammar and enable you to express yourself in a more logical manner
- expand your vocabulary
- improve your communication skills by practicing dialogues and role-playing.
Business courses at Smart School are mostly personalized one-on-one courses. Textbooks are used as the basic teaching material; however, the content of classes may be personalised to any degree depending on the student’s wishes and needs.
Below are a few examples that test your knowledge of the English language. Find one mistake in each sentence, correct it and then scroll down to check the answers. If you make any mistakes, it means you should consider enrolling in a business English course at Smart.
- Paul’s in charge for all of the company’s marketing and communications activity.
- Last week I have finally managed to finish the monthly report.
- The first round of recruits are due to start training the next week.
- I always felt reassured that I could seek an advice from my colleagues.
- Usually it takes at least a month for the packages to get to the UK.
1. Paul’s in charge of all of the company’s marketing and communications activity.
2. Last week I finally managed to finish the monthly report.
3. The first round of recruits are due to start training next week.
4. I always felt reassured that I could seek advice from my colleagues.
5. It usually takes at least a month for the packages to get to the UK.